i was talking to my sister on the phone and my mind drifted into a 3rd person view of my surroundings, kind of like i was watching myself in a movie. laying on my stomach in the sand, swinging my feet back and forth in the air as i tried to even out the tan lines on my back. i could feel the sun beating on my skin and the loose strands of hair that had fallen out of my braid kept getting swept across my face with the breeze. not in the ‘romantic-beach-girl’ kind of way, but in the way where it was annoying and kept getting stuck in my mouth and eyes and no matter how many times i tried tucking them behind my ear they would just be right back, so i eventually gave up the fight. there i was, hair blowing everywhere, rambling on and on about life and then about nothing at all. that is one of my favorite qualities of my sister, she can talk on the phone for hours and listen for days. i guess i’m not sure what any of this has to do with anything other than i thought i should set the scene for my later epiphanies of what i know to be true, haha.
after about 2 hours of rambling with my sister, we came up with the conclusion that no one has it all figured out, and that’s just that. i sometimes imagine all of us as floating along just bouncing off walls trying to figure out what works and what doesn’t, and as soon as we figure something out, it changes. i think that was a weird example but i’m sure you all understand what i am talking about. i guess that’s what makes life so interesting. so, after realizing i’m not the only one who doesn’t have it all figured out, i thought i would leave you all with some of the random things that i do know to be true, for now at least… but i think it’s a good start:)
- it’s always good to be the first person to say sorry. swallow your pride and just do it and you’ll feel better afterwards.
- goals are important – striving to accomplish something, even as small as making your bed in the morning can make all the difference in your day.
- there is no such thing as music that is “too loud”.
- ed sheeran and hozier are two of the most talented song writers. tenerife sea is my newest song on repeat. for today anyways. (refer to previous point re: volume)
- a person can never have too many straight-brim hats or bikinis… choices.
- have grace with people, you never know what they are dealing with today.
- that one last beer of the night is never a good idea. the struggle is real.
- there is almost nothing on the planet that is better than avacado ahi-poke fresh from the koloa fish market.
- good friends are hard to come by, keep them close and be grateful.
- fish-tale braids are hard, but you can do anything if you try.
- anyone who says they love running is lying… haha:) okay okay it does feel pretty great once it’s over… see first point re: goals.;)
- drink 8 glasses of water a day and wear sunscreen.
- always take advantage of sunny days. (see previous point re: sunscreen)
- every encounter we have with someone we have the opportunity to make them smile. take it.
- there is a lot to learn by watching TEDtalks
- taking o-mega3 vitamins will make your hair grow super fast. or so i was told… but it seems to be working!
- life is better when you let yourself get excited about the little things. the excited life, i like to call it.
- a really great playlist will make you do an extra lap around the block before you pull into your driveway, it’s always so exciting to see what the next song will be! (see previous point re: the excited life)
- the hangover is as good as the night before.
- taylor swift nailed it on her last album. or that’s what people say.
- 12:00am is time for bed, soooo goodnight!